What’s Haute: Diary of a Flagler Fashionisto

Thursday, January 6, 2011

By Jody Marich 
Photos by Victoria Grace Choeff and Michael O’Hara 

Michael O’Hara always has two things with him; his fashion sense and his Canon Rebel XSi camera.

The 20-year-old photographer can be found at almost every St. Augustine hot spot taking photos of Flagler students and other interesting people. His passion is photography but from the looks of his style, fashion is a hidden passion for O’Hara. I recently had the chance to talk to the communication student about his unique style.

Marich: What inspires you when you dress? 

O’Hara: “I am inspired by unusual patterns in fabric, as well as a signature article of clothing or accessory to pull the entire outfit together. I am also inspired by underground LA style, as well as looks being worn throughout London. Colorful, dark tones, and a serious edge.”
 

JM: Where do you get your fashion sense from? 

MO: “I feel as though I received my fashion sense from one person in general. Mary Kate Olsen taught me that there is definite order to chaos, and chaos can be trendy.” 

JM: How would you describe your style? 

MO: “I would describe my style as grunge chic. Anything that is tattered or black is hot in my eyes. I feel as though my style pushes the boundaries, for instance, a Looney Tunes black “Taz” t-shirt worn under a black leather jacket or tattered light wash denim vest is perfectly acceptable to me. As long as my style makes a statement, I’m happy.”

(Photo to the left is a self-portrait taken by Michael O’Hara) 

JM: Where do you like to shop? 

MO: “I have a couple of stores/designers I cherish most. [One] local clothing store I love is American Apparel. I love basics! [Some] stores nationally I admire are Blood is the New Black, Rag and Bone and Marc by Marc Jacobs. Thrift stores such as GoodWill and Betty Griffin are also hot spots for good eyes and good finds.” 

JM: What is your fashion accessory you can’t live without? 

MO: “A fashion accessory I cannot live without are bracelets. I really love finding unusual and unique wrist candy and it’s the perfect way to compliment an outfit.” 

JM: What is the one thing you can’t leave home without? 

MO: “One thing I cannot leave home without are my contacts. Like it or not, contact lenses are a huge part of my fashion. Deciding to sport glasses or contacts is just as important as deciding what top would go right with what bottoms. There is a system to my madness.” 

The 20-year-old is making a name for himself in the photography world but also the fashion world. With his grunge edge, people remember who Michael O’Hara is. 

Check out his photography on his blog, Ice Cream Social.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Tickle Me Chic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.