Everyone deserves to be happy....

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Maura Kelly, has some nerve.  I am saddened by her post, Should "Fatties" Get a Room? (Even on TV?). She writes about the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly, a show that is centered about a couple who met in Overeaters Anonymous group.  Kelly then, compares overweight people to alcoholics and heroin addicts??? "To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room." She goes on to say "I think I’d be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I’d be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything.” Anyone who is so close-minded should not be allowed to share their opinion, especially for a well known magazine that, for years, has promoted a  healthy body image.

The post was published October 25, at 9 a.m. By 6 p.m. October 27th, there were over 1200 comments, most of them outraged or hurt. People even took to Twitter, tweeting about their disgust.

These are some of the readers responses:


"My question is how on earth can a well publicised website get away with discriminating people with weight issues. You think being FAT IS DISGUSTING no! Nothing is more disgusting than being the person that wrote this. I would rather be fat than a heartless %&*$# who is so self centred she needs to slam other people to make herself feel more beautiful. As well as that I actually have to comment on how poorly written an article this is... and this is coming from a high school student! I am actually questioning your editors sanity when posting this! What a disgrace."-GRRRR

"I think you are being not only a bit insensitive but also narrow minded. I've heard your reason of "I wrote this blog really quickly" before. You might as well say "my dog ate my homework." Do you write your blogs very quickly because you don't care enough to really think about the question or issue at hand? Or is this just a bad excuse? I suggest really thinking about the material you post because as you said, although you wish you could erase this post unfortunately you can't." - Aimeelie

"I've made sure to post this and share it with every single family member and friend I know - I'll see to it that they all read it and understand what kind of hateful, useless drivel pours out of the pages of Marie Claire in hopes they will cancel subscriptions or never pick a Marie Claire up from a magazine rack. I'm also considering creating a facebook page protesting the publication of this post, though it is still just a consideration. Hmm...(thinking as a fatty takes a little more time, cause you know I have to shove out all those thoughts of cheeseburgers and candy bars to make room for intelligent thought process)....................................................................................Oh, I hope I encounter this Maura one day, just so I can cross her path like a black kitteh and make her vomit all over her $800 shoes. Or to save the shoes I guess she could puke into the handbag that Marie Claire recommended she buy by taking out a home equity loan. Have a nice life! I sure as %&*$# will. :D"-justanotherfatty

Kelly goes on to give readers "advice" on how to focus on losing weight. "I'm happy to give you some nutrition and fitness suggestions if you need them — but long story short, eat more fresh and unprocessed foods, read labels and avoid foods with any kind of processed sweetener in them whether it's cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup, increase the amount of fiber you're getting, get some kind of exercise for 30 minutes at least five times a week, and do everything you can to stand up more — even while using your computer — and walk more...."

Then she takes another stab by saying, "I guess these characters are in Overeaters Anonymous. So ... points for trying?"

After the comments of angry readers came pouring in, Kelly posts an apology. In there she reveals her own battle with anorexia, but that doesn't mean that you can bully others. We all have our imperfections and insecurities.
  (photo from Marie Claire website)

In her apology, Kelly seems sincere for the most part BUT, she adds "And for whatever it's worth, I feel just as uncomfortable when I see an anorexic person as I do when I see someone who is morbidly obese, because I assume people suffering from eating disorders on either end of the spectrum are doing damage to their bodies, and that they are unhappy. But perhaps I shouldn’t be so quick to judge based on superficial observations" It just seems like another stab and such a stereotyped opinion. She really does make herself seem like a superficial person.


This picture to me, is a beautiful thing. Everyone deserves to be happy. It doesn't matter what size you are, what color your skin is, or what ethnicity you are, EVERYONE deserves happiness. For someone to nationally bully people for their weight, it breaks my heart. I have fought eating disorders and when I was just 12, I was told to lose weight by loved ones, so I know where she is coming from. That should make her MORE compassionate for those who are struggling with weight, not less. Now I am average size, petite but I still struggle to believe that I am thin, or "tiny" as my friends say. But reading her article, post, whatever you want to call it, just makes me sad. It makes me realize we, as a society, still have such a long way to go. 

The song"Beautiful,"by Christina Aguilera, plays in my head while reading her post & writing this one. 

Remember everyone,
"We are beautiful no matter what they say
 words won't bring us down, 
We are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring us down, oh no
So don't you bring me down today"

My heart goes out to those who were hurt by Maura Kelly's rude rant.



14 comments:

Isis Marina said...

Wow. She claims she didn't mean to be a bully, but the blog is titled "Should Fatties Get a Room?"

Not that I read Marie Claire to begin with, but this warrants boycott.

ShoeRazzi said...

Nice post Jody!! Love it!

Jody said...

I still can't get over this girl, she is a huge bully.
Thanks Ashley :)
<3

Maya • Fashion Illustration blog said...

It is always interesting to see how americans react to themselvs. More than half a nation is obese and very interracial (to put it mildly), but on TV you never see anyone but skinny white people. I dont understand how and why can she be grossed out , if she sees people like this all the time. Does she feel TV needs to stay fantasy land?

M

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
http://mayabeus.blogspot.com/
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

devilishly pleasurable said...

found you via IFB. . this is a heartfelt response to that insensitive article. glad you brought it up.

Jody said...

Thank you. I didn't want to rip her apart but I want everyone to know that she did a really horrible thing to a lot of people. Thanks for reading.
X

Unknown said...

Great post and great blog, I found you through Links a la Mode on IFB.

I'd not heard about this (maybe because I'm UK-based) but to hear that such a well-respected magazine would allow this kind of post really sickens me. They, and Maura, need to think about how many people can see and therefore be offended/saddened/angered by such thoughtless, unkind words.

There is NO excuse.

www.blahblahbecky.co.uk

House in Tillford said...

wow i hadn't heard about this (guess it didn't make waves here aus) but harsh! Not a good reflection of Marie Claire
http://house-in-tillford.blogspot.com/

Jody said...

Thank you for reading ladies. It is a sad story, I can't believe she was allowed to post such Harsh words.
<3

poet said...

Good roundup of reactions to this outrageous article. I was really appalled when I first read about it - even if someone is certainly allowed to have their own personal beauty standards (which may say that skinny is more beautiful than fat, or that fat is more beautiful than skinny, or that diversity is beautiful, or whatever), they must be aware that this is just their personal preference, that it is by no means an absolute standard even if it should be in line with the standard flaunted by society around them (that is equally relative) - and in any case, neither a person's beauty standards nor their own history of trauma give anyone a right to write such rude, hurtful things where anyone can read them...

Cheers,
poet

Bianca said...

It's unbelievable how heartless people can be; having been overweight and won the battle, i still feel incredibly hurt when I hear people say things like that. People are people- black, white, fat or slim- that low excuse for a woman should be ashamed of herself and the hate she perpetuates.

Jenna said...

Found you off Links a la Mode. I think you expressed yourself wonderfully in this post. You made it very clear that what Ms. Kelly said was extremely distasteful and hurtful, while not being unkind toward her in return. Sign of a great writer. Sad, sad article though. What a shame, as this will totally taint Marie Claire's image. BUT anyway, I will be following you, my dear girl!!

xo,
Jenna
http://sevenstylenotes.blogspot.com/

Jody said...

Thank you so much Jenna for the comment. That made my day, because that's exactly what i was trying to get across. I didn't want to rip her apart, everyone else did, I just wanted people to know this isn't right and that she was down right wrong in posting those hurtful things. Thanks for reading and following :)
xo,Jody

Fashion Limbo said...

A very naive writer at the centre of this hurricane. And shame on her by trying to excuse herself after with the "it was difficult for me to" label as she had been anorexic. As a former anorexic she should have known how horrid it is to be judged by one's appearance.
And yes, the Mike % Molly picture is indeed a beautiful one.

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Tickle Me Chic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.